Decision Maker: Greater Manchester Combined Authority
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
1. That the outcome of the work that has been undertaken in recent months to formulate a strategy to consider the budgetary pressures on the Transport Capital Programme be noted and endorsed and that an annual report covering the ongoing impacts of budgetary pressures be received (Section 2).
· Golborne Station: £0.98m to enable the ongoing development of the Outline Business Case (OBC) for this DfT retained scheme (para 3.6).
· Ashton – Stockport QBT scheme: £0.09m to commence work to progress an Outline Business Case (OBC), including the completion of an exercise to prioritise interventions for delivery (para 3.8).
· Tyldesley Travel Hub (including Park and Ride) Scheme: £0.25m to develop an Outline Business Case (OBC) (para 3.12).
· Oldham Town Centre (Accessible Oldham Phase 2): £0.9m to develop the scheme to Final Business Case (para 3.16).
· Queens Park Bridge (Strategic Highways Maintenance): the remaining £1.6m to enable Rochdale Council to tender and carry out the works to complete the scheme (Section 4).
3. That the draw-down of CRSTS funding for the balance of development funding for schemes that secured interim CRSTS funding in February 2023 whilst a review of budgetary challenges was undertaken be approved (Section 5), as follows:
· High Speed 2 / Northern Powerhouse Rail Programme: £7.15m to continue development of the programme.
· Rapid Transit Extensions Package: £0.45m to continue development of the programme.
· Tram-Train Package: £3.26m to continue development of the programme.
· Travel Hubs Package: £0.25m to continue development of the programme.
· Stop Improvements and New Stops Package: £0.5m to continue development of the programme.
4. That those schemes that had achieved SOBC, and that GMCA approved £2.6m of CRSTS funding draw-down in February 2023 to continue scheme development (Section 6) be formally noted as follows:
· Bury: Radcliffe Town Centre.
· Stockport: Hempshaw Lane.
· Stockport: Bredbury Economic Corridor Improvement (BECI).
· Stockport: A6 / School Lane / Manchester Road.
5. That the addition (including the respective allocations to Local Authority partners) to the 2023/24 Capital Programme (funded from CRSTS), (Section 7) be approved a follows:
· £16.3m forecast expenditure for Minor Works / Road Safety (previously Integrated Transport Block) measures.
· £35m for core highway maintenance.
6. That an increase to the Core Highways Maintenance budget for 2023/24 from £26.5m to £35m (para 7.3) be approved.
7. That it be noted that the Spring Budget included additional road maintenance funding of £6.2m for GM (para 7.5).
8. That the Mayor of Greater Manchester’s update following a meeting with the Rail Minister be received, and that concerns raised regarding the impact upon the Castlefield Corridor following the withdrawal of support for Platforms 15 & 16 at Manchester Piccadilly be noted.
Publication date: 30/05/2023
Date of decision: 26/05/2023
Decided at meeting: 26/05/2023 - Greater Manchester Combined Authority
Effective from: 07/06/2023