Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
1. That the call for the ‘Right to Food’ to be incorporated into the ‘National Food Strategy’ and in time enshrined in legislation, recognising that such a national reassurance could address wider issues in the welfare system and enable us to focus local efforts on upstream poverty prevention, be endorsed.
2. That a unified message be co-signed from Greater Manchester in the form of a letter to the Independent Lead of the National Food Strategy commission to highlight this request.
3. That the intention to develop the Greater Manchester ‘No Child Should Go Hungry’ campaign into a broader GM-wide ambition around tackling the root causes of poverty with an appropriate balance of targeted work and early intervention & prevention be noted.
4. That the work of the Bury Community Support Network be noted and considered as a potential blueprint for similar networks across Greater Manchester.
5. That the role of the GM Good Employment Charter be recognised as key to sustainable and fair employment and that this should be sought through all public procurement exercises to enable it to have the greatest possible impact.
6. That is be noted that the GMCA is the first Combined Authority in England to endorse the right to food for all.
Publication date: 16/02/2021
Date of decision: 12/02/2021
Decided at meeting: 12/02/2021 - Greater Manchester Combined Authority