Venue: This meeting will be held virtually via Microsoft Teams and will be live-streamed for public viewing. The link to watch the meeting is available on the meetings page of the GMCA website.
APPOINTMENT OF CHAIR
To note the appointment of Mayor Paul Dennett, as the GM Portfolio Holder for Housing, Homelessness and Infrastructure as Chair of the Commission.
APPOINTMENT OF VICE CHAIR
To appoint a Vice Chair of the Commission
MEMBERSHIP OF THE COMMISSION
To note the membership of the Planning and Housing Commission for 2020/2021
Bolton Councillor Toby Hewitt
Bury Councillor Clare Cummins
Manchester Councillor Suzanne Richards
Oldham Councillor Hannah Roberts
Rochdale Councillor Linda Robinson
Salford Councillor Derek Antrobus
Stockport Councillor David Mellor
Tameside Councillor Gerald Cooney
Trafford Councillor James Wright
Wigan Councillor Terry Halliwell
CHAIR'S ANNOUNCEMENTS AND URGENT BUSINESS
To receive declarations of interest in any item for discussion at the meeting. A blank form for declaring interests has been circulated with the agenda.
To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 24 January, 2020
TERMS OF REFERENCE
1 ROLE AND TERMS OF REFERENCE
1.1 The role of the Commission is:
To support Greater Manchester fulfil its vision to become one of the best places in the world to grow up, get on and grow old.
To bring together key stakeholders from the planning and housing sectors in support of this vision, helping to create a place in which people are proud of where they live, with a decent home, a fulfilling job, and stress free journeys are the norm.
1.2 To fulfil this role, the Commission will prioritise a number of key ambitions in the Greater Manchester Strategy:
· Ensure we have the right employment sites in the right locations to support economic growth across all parts of GM;
· Support GMs town centres to become quality places where people choose to live and work;
· Become the UKs leading innovator in housing development; and
· See all parts of GM become neighbourhoods of choice, with good quality affordable homes in safe and attractive communities, well served by public transport and with access to excellent to local amenities.
1.3 The Commission will also contribute to several other key ambitions in the Greater Manchester Strategy, with particularly strong links to the work of the GM Homelessness Action Work and the GM Low Carbon Hub.
1.4 Amongst the ways in which the Commission will fulfil its role will be to:
· Commission and publish research and evidence, to inform policy and decisions by the GMCA/AGMA and other GM strategic bodies, e.g the Local Enterprise Partnership as well as individual districts;
· Provide advice to the GMCA/AGMA on strategic planning and housing issues;
· Ensure that GM Planning and Housing work is clearly communicated to different stakeholder groups, including residents and communities;
· Work with a range of agencies and delivery partners to oversee programmes at the GM scale, ensuring that the planning and housing related ambitions in the GM Strategy are taken forward and implemented by a range of partners; and
· Working with a range of groups and stakeholders, ensure the alignment of other strategies with our planning and housing ambitions, especially in terms of transport, connectivity and the natural environment.
2 MEMBERSHIP AND ADVICE
2.1 Commission membership is made up of:
· The GM Portfolio Holder for Housing, Homelessness and Infrastructure (Chair)
· One GM elected member from each of the ten GM districts, nominated annually at the GMCA/AGMA AGM
· A representative of the GM Housing Providers Group
· A representative of Transport for Greater Manchester
· A representative of the Voluntary, Community and Social Enterprise
· network in GM
· A representative of the Strategic Health Partnership in GM
· A representative from a University planning or built environment
· A representative from the Private Sector in GM
2.2 A vice chair is also appointed by the group from within this membership.
2.3 Wider private sector engagement will be through a Panel of private sector stakeholders, led by the private sector commission member but managed flexibly to engage a much wider network of individuals including a young professionals’ network on relevant aspects ... view the full agenda text for item 7.
Report of Ann Morgan, Head of Planning Strategy, GMCA
Presentation from Ann Morgan, Head of Planning Strategy, GMCA
Report of Steve Fyfe, Head of Housing Strategy, GMCA
Presentation from Jill Holden, GMCA and Helen Telfer, Environment Agency
Report of Mayor Paul Dennett and Steve Rumbelow, Portfolio Lead for Housing, Homelessness and Infrastructure.
Report of Molly Bishop, Homelessness Strategic Lead, GMCA
DATES OF FUTURE MEETINGS
Friday 22 January 2021 2.00 – 4.00pm
Tuesday 23 March 2021 10.00 – 12 noon